Friday, May 21, 2010

My leg goes where!?

I tried another class last night, trying to expand my repertoire. One of the gals in my cycling class has great arms, and I asked her last week if she lifted weights or what she did to get such toned arms. She said that she does Power Yoga on Tu/Th evenings, and that it is a hard class, but worth it. She's seen a big change in her arms, and also in her torso area, a lot more fat burning and definition (that's all she had to say. I'm trying it!)

And she was right, the class was a challenge - I have done yoga before, briefly, at a studio here in town. But it has been awhile, and this class was a different pace and level. Some great stretching, a lot of core exercises and sit-ups, and lots of planks, push-ups and more to work the arms. And lots of balancing. Not my strong spot, at all. Of course there are all different levels of people in the class, and there were some experts and some beginners. The instructor led us in a series of poses like this:

And this (great for abs, I can feel 'em today!)


and even this (mine did not look much like this):


And finally, this:

"Some people find it easier to grasp their big toe and then pull back into the pose, but I usually grab the inside arch of my foot and use that to pull back and balance" she said. Uh, not so much.
I'm going to keep going to the class, I just am aware of my limitations. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't work at it, and succeed on some level. After all, I wouldn't have thought a few months ago that I would be able to keep the pace in my cycling class, and I have to remind myself of that as I try something new!

Ready for the weekend, and NO RAIN, finally. Outside chores are waiting! Happy Friday to all.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Lord, how I LOVE yoga! And the best part is it's non-competitive nature. Instructors where I go are always reminding us not to compare ourselves to our neighbors, not to judge our own practice while we are in it and to just appreciate our body and what it is able to do throughout. For me, it's as much for my head as it is for my body. I ALWAYS feel better afterwards, even if my practice wasn't perfect. :)