Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Leaving Home

Well, I'm changing jobs after nine years, and it does feel somewhat like I'm leaving home; I'm definitely taking a giant LEAP out of my comfort zone. I'm not going too far from home- I've taken another position within the health system - but my new job will be very different than what I'm currently doing. The decision to pursue the job was made after much consideration, and a lot of prayer, before and during the entire process.

Interviewing for the job was a bit scary, in part because I hadn't interviewed for anything in years, and also because I really wasn't sure that I wanted to change jobs. That sounds silly, considering that I applied for the job, but I initially found myself with mixed emotions when it came down to interviewing and getting serious about leaving my current position. I have the most amazing group of women that work with me here in our little corner of the health system, and thinking of leaving them was the hardest part of even considering a job change.

My new position will be as a physician practice manager in our system; I will have responsibility for 10-12 physician clinics, which will be a total of 30-40 physicians and all of their staff. The interview process was the clincher for me - I felt like I was interviewing them as much as they were interviewing me (in a good way), just to really make sure it was something I could and would want to do. Of course I had asked a lot of questions in the inital interview with the administrative director, but meeting with the other practice managers helped me to get a feel for the job, and I left the interview thinking that I could definitely see myself in the position. It will be very different from what I'm doing now, but I am up for the challenge and ready for the new experience! And it felt good to know that they thought I was a good fit, too - I was their top choice out of six finalists, and 100+ candidates.

Now I'm in the process of wrapping things up and letting everyone know that I'm leaving, and that's the hard part. I hate to say goodbye to all the committees, coworkers, volunteers and friends that I've made over the last several years, although at least I will still see many of them since I'll still be here in the system.

And, to top it all off, we're leaving for Florida in the morning - I guess it is a good thing to get the vacation in NOW before the new job starts. My last day in my current job is July 9, and then I'll hit the ground running in my new position. I'm looking forward to our time in Florida, will post some pics and updates while we're there.

No comments: