Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday Ramblings

Happy Friday! I'm enjoying a few hours at home this morning, since Jace is off school today. I'm heading into the office about 11, and he's going to spend part of his day with his dad, who is also off work. I've put in my 40 hours already and still have another breast cancer awareness event tomorrow, so didn't feel too bad about letting Jace sleep in and starting the morning off slow.

Speaking of slow, today is the day I am going to make a roast and veggies in the slow cooker, before I head into work. For some of you, this may not be a big deal. But for a non-cooker such as myself, it is quite the undertaking. I've been researching recipes on the internet, and then had a breakroom conversation with some of the girls in the office on which type of roast I should buy. Rump roast, elbow roast (I think) and chuck roast were three of the suggestions. I've got to dig out the cast iron skillet so that I can first sear the roast on all sides, which seals in the juices. Then cut up the potatoes, and make the broth that goes in the crockpot with the roast, using the scrapings off the bottom of the skillet as part of the broth. Anyhoo, will report back on the outcome, keep your fingers crossed!

It is chilly in the house this morning, a sign that fall is almost here, and I can't wait! The leaves are still all green; with all the rain we've had this year, the grass is still green too. But the air is starting to get that brisk feeling, and I LOVE it. It isn't quite time to start wearing all the winter clothes out yet, but I'm still going to do my switch-out this weekend. I love my fall/winter clothes, so much more than spring/summer... the jackets, turtleneck sweaters and boots are so comfortable, and yet still dressy for work.

That's all for now, gotta hit the shower and then get my apron on (no, not really) to fix that roast! Wish me luck, I may need it!

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Looking forward to hearing how the roast came out! And where's my invite for dinner?