Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Chick Flicks, Thanksgiving Recipes and other Stay-At-Home stuff.

Today was the first day that I felt pretty darn good all day. Of course it may be because I didn't try to get out and do anything, like I did on Monday and Tuesday. We made an impromptu trip to Sam's yesterday with Gail, and I quickly found myself planting my butt right on the lawn furniture while Mom and Gail chattered and shopped. I was dizzy and feeling like I might fall down if I didn't sit down, so after we cut the shopping trip short I spent the rest of the day napping. I've received several funny cards from friends and colleagues; it has been a nice surprise to walk down to the mailbox the last couple days and find that they're thinking of me!

Ok, on to the other chick flicks, per my sister Tara's reply to an earlier post:
1) The Ugly Truth (Katherine Heigl) - as already reported, it was indeed UGLY.
2) My Life in Ruins (Nia Vardalos from My Big Fat Greek Wedding) - cute but predictable
3) Last Chance Harvey (Dustin Hoffman/Emma Thompson) - sweet romantic flick about a second chance at life and love; great characters; a little slow, but a good story.

The one I haven't watched yet is "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" with Matthew McConaughey; will have to watch it tomorrow before my dad gets here.

The good news about being off work is that I have ample time to prepare for Thanksgiving at my parents' home, as in what I'm going to make and bring. Dave is doing his fabulous stuffing, that has pork sausage, Granny Smith apples, walnuts and more - it is wonderful. And I think he'll do some sweet potatoe casserole as well, even though he doesn't like it - he knows it is one of my favorites! I am going to bring a dessert, a couple different types of bon bons, or truffles. Both of those sound snooty, but really they're not. The first one is an Oreo Bon Bon, which our friend Laura in KC made, and I had to have the recipe. They are cream cheese and crushed oreos blended together and made into little balls, and then dipped in melted chocolate almond bark. Soooooo yummy, and I know they'll be a hit with my chocolate lovin' family!

The other one is a Cookie Dough Truffle, which was sent to me by a friend who is a dietitian and now going to physician assistant school. She had made them for a physician gathering, and said they were so delicious it was sinful! If they're both good, I'll post the recipes on here. (If they turn out bad, then we'll assume it was the cook and you won't hear another word about them!)

Off to bed, tomorrow I have an outing of necessity - time for a visit to the hair dresser!

1 comment:

Lucas said...

Don't know if you watched the Ghosts of Girlfriends Past yet but if not, SKIP IT!!! It sucked big time! Even if you DO get to look at Matthew McConaughey the entire time.