Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Dave Says "Sell the Car!"

No, not my Dave -- Dave Ramsey. And so, we've sold the car. He also says to sell anything and everything you don't need... sell, sell, sell!! Sell SO much that the kids think they're next (and some days I wonder about it... hmmm... anybody want an 11-year-old moody pre-adolescent!? Kidding!!).

Anyway, back to the car. That's one thing that D.R. hears most on his radio show, apparently - people calling in and wanting to get out of debt, and they're driving a car that is WAY more expensive than they need. So his first suggestion is "Sell the car!" -- Drive something that is reliable, will get you where you need to go, but won't kill your bank account. Get it paid off, and drive it until you save enough to buy a newer car outright, without a payment. And the more we discussed it, the more it made sense for us.

I must confess, I've been spoiled with my luxury SUV.... goodbye, my heated, leather seats... my 6-disc CD changer.... with controls on the steering wheel... I will miss you! But I won't miss the big payment, or the gas guzzling, or the debt we're gonna cut out by trading down to my new-to-me little silver Jeep Liberty.

2 comments:

Lucas said...

Wow! Bold move Nance! Luckily, I own my Grand Cherokee outright, but it doesn't put much of a dent in the money I spend on gas. Luckily, I live in a geographical anomaly, I'm 5 minutes from everywhere! :)

Rob said...

You should've talked to Dad first. He'll make you a sweet deal on a classic '87 full size Chevy van. Bonus feature: It comes with a cassette deck - so you can sell all your CDs!

Just giving you a hard time. We've never read Dave Ramsey but have a similar goal to be debt-free.